During the summer months, many kids go to baseball, basketball, volleyball, swimming and dance camp. We instill values of practice makes perfect, but what about their academics? Luckily, there are lots of tips and tricks to make learning as fun as attending a summer camp with their friends.
Strengthening math skills:
• Let your children help in the kitchen. Allowing your children to join you in the cooking process teaches them how to read the recipe and measure the ingredients. Recipes also expose your children to fractions, which kids typically have problems understanding.
• Play board games and have your child be the scorekeeper. Games like Yahtzee and Monopoly are good games to help strengthen your child’s math skills because each includes lots of adding, and Monopoly gives your child the chance to learn more about money.
• Grab a stopwatch or a stopwatch app. Children love to play with stopwatches, and giving them one opens up lots of learning opportunities. One way they can use the stopwatch is by timing how long it takes their bike to ride down the street or around the block. Then they can keep track of how fast they go and chart the difference in their time the more they practice. This strengthens number recognition, telling time, and subtraction skills.
Strengthening reading skills:
• Visit your local library. St. Louis City and County Libraries offer reading incentive programs for kids of all ages. If getting your child to read has previously been a struggle, this is a good way to get them excited about reading because their friends will be reaping the benefits of the program (like free Cardinal tickets).
• Write letters. Do you have a grandparent, cousin, or friend that lives out of town? Have your children write letters to them. This activity will not only teach your kids how to maintain relationships, but also strengthen their reading and written communication skills.
TLC for Kids also offers tutoring. All of TLC’s tutors have degrees in education. To book a TLC tutor today, call (314) 725-5660.
Temporary Childcare: TLC temporary sitters can help with last minute needs, transportation and date nights this summer.
- House and Pet Sitting: If you are traveling this summer and need someone to watch the house and take care of the pets let us know. We have pet sitters available.
- Traveling nannies: Do you need another adult for your vacation this summer? We have sitters who can accompany you on your trip to help watch the kids and give you a needed nights out!
- Tutors: TLC tutors are certified teachers and can give extra help this summer to keep your kids on track for next year.
Visit our website to learn more about becoming a member of TLC today!