Posts Tagged ‘newborns sleep’
The Sleep Lady Sleep Tips
Every parent of a newborn could use more sleep. I know I always did! TLC for Kids has teamed up with a Gentle Sleep expert to help St. Louis parents get more sleep. Here are some tips on creating a sleep space for your baby from Kim West, aka The Sleep Lady, and founder of Gentle Sleep. The goal is to create a sleep space for your baby that is relaxing and conducive to sleep.
1. Make sure the room is dark. Use blackout shades, curtains, or blinds to help darken the room and keep early morning rays out.
2. Keep televisions, computers, cell phones off while your baby is sleeping in his room at night. Studies have shown that the light emitted from electronics can overstimulate the brain and make it harder for your baby to fall asleep and stay asleep.
3. White noise is a very effective tool that can help your baby sleep better. Actual “white noise” is the best rather than ocean waves or sounds of trains, birds, etc. Keep the white noise on during the entire sleep duration and turn it off as soon as your baby wakes.
4. Swaddling during the newborn months can help extend sleep periods and help if your baby is sensitive to the startle reflex. Make sure to always put your baby to sleep on his back and practice safe sleeping.
5. Keeping your baby close by can help you manage feedings more efficiently and make it easier for you to settle and get your baby back to sleep quickly when he does wake.
TLC has teamed up with Certified “Gentle Sleep Coach” Jessica Manela Litwack who will work with your family to create an individualized, loving and responsive step-by-step sleep plan teaching your child the vital life skill of putting themselves to sleep.
The Gentle Sleep Program will consider your personal parenting philosophy, child’s age, health and temperament, mother’s well-being and the related family dynamics. Most importantly Jessica will support and coach you through the process from beginning to end- for night sleep and naps!
Call TLC at 314-725-5660 to set up your consultation today!