Although summer has just begun, families are already searching for after-school care for their children.
Some may think an after-school nanny position is just picking up the kids from school and taking them home for the evening. Yes, day-to-day tasks are part of the job, but being an after-school nanny is much more fulfilling than being a chauffeur.
As a former after-school nanny, I got to become an integral part of the family’s life. After I picked up the kids from school, we would come home and enjoy an after-school snack. While the kids snacked on fruit and crackers, I would get to hear about the most exciting parts of their day: the new books they read at school, what happened on the playground, and if anyone disrupted class (believe it or not, elementary school kids have a lot of gossip). After snack, we would start doing homework. During homework time, I got to strengthen my bond with the kids. They were looking to me for guidance and trusting that I was leading them in the right direction, and I got to learn what excited them about learning and what they struggled with (If you are going into elementary education, or any other field involving working with kids or teaching, this job is an excellent resume builder). On the days the kids had ballet practice, I would go to practice with them. Like homework time, this strengthened my relationship with my kids because I got to see them doing what they loved. If the kids didn’t have homework or practice, we would come from school and play, read, or make arts and crafts. Other than getting to bring out my inner kid and have fun, being an after-school nanny also included picking up the toys, and occasionally helping prepare dinner. This was the perfect job for me during my beginning days of college—it allowed me to go to my morning classes, and I was off work early enough to finish my homework (and have a social life).
Like I said, this is an especially great job for students, or anyone else who has free time in the afternoon. The hours needed for an after-school nanny are usually 3pm-6pm, or 2pm-6pm. Pay is typically between $12-$15/hour.
If you are an energetic, caring, and responsible individual looking for an after-school nanny position, you can apply today.
By Brooke Angel
ALL positions pay a competitive rate and some benefits are included!
Full-Time (requires 1 year commitment)
1) Full-time live-in housekeeper/handyman couple needed ASAP in Wildwood, MO. M-F 8a-5p and must have professional housekeeping experience. Family has an apartment on their property for the nanny. No childcare duties, evenings, weekends or overnights. Pay based on experience. Starts ASAP!
2) Eureka family is seeking a full time nanny for their toddler! Nanny will work Monday through Friday, from 9am-6pm. Opportunities for extra hours are available with this job! Job starts in the beginning of April 2014!
3) Belleville, IL family seeking a full-time (M-F 8a-4p) nanny who has early childhood experience and infant experience. Position would start asap and nanny would have the option on doing a 1-3 month trial before committing to a full-year.
4) Central West End family seeking a full-time nanny to start early January! Hours are M-F 8a-6p M-F, toddler is in school a few mornings and nanny will run errands / do light housekeeping during that time. Must be very active and energetic!
5) Clayton family is seeking an energetic nanny to help take care of their one year-old twins! You will also help assist with running errands and helping with laundry. Hours are Monday, – Friday 7:30am-5:00pm! Jobs starts ASAP!
6) Fenton family seeking a nanny in mid-April for toddler and new baby. Must be available M-F 8a-6:30p.
7) Belleville, IL family seeking a nanny who is available to work very long days. M-F 5:30a-6:30p with a new baby! Pay is definitely competitive and many days the nanny will be relieved early. The position starts 4/1.
8) University City family with new baby needs an experienced, energetic nanny! Hours are M-F 8a-5:30p and job will start at the end of March!
9) Shared-Care family in Clayton seeking a new nanny to watch two babies and one toddler full-time! Nanny must be able to transport all three children in the same car — three carseats must safely fit in the nanny’s car! Hours are M-F 8a-6p and position starts ASAP
Part-Time (requires 1 year commitment)
1) Part-time nanny needed for new baby and very active toddler! Hours are about 20-25/wk in the morning. For ex. 9a-1p or 8a-12p, even 10a-2p. Family is flexible and parents are seeking someone who has a lot of newborn experience! This position is located in South City and can start ASAP!
After-school – flexible commitment
1) Wildwood family is seeking energetic after school nanny to help with their three children, ages 2, 5, and 6! They need someone to help run errands, help with children’s homework, and prepare meals. Hours are Monday through Friday, 3pm-8pm. Position starts ASAP!
2) Family in Ladue seeking an afternoon nanny for two children. Hours are 2:30p-6:30p M-F. Must be very loving, patient and have a great driving record. Starts ASAP!
Are you looking for a nanny job? Being a nanny is a fun and rewarding career. Taking the time to find the right job for you will make the job even more fun!
Finding the right job requires you to do a little bit of homework. It is your responsibility to review the job description and have a complete understanding of your responsibilities before accepting a position. There a few steps to follow to make sure the nanny job is a good fit.
The first step in finding a great nanny job is to review the family job description. The job description is your first opportunity to see what the job entails. Look at things like location, hours, and salary. Do all those fit your requirements?
The second step is the phone interview. Phone interviews are your first impression. Make sure you can talk without being distracted. Tell the family a little bit about yourself. Be prepared to answer some questions about your job history and experience.
A face to face interview is your opportunity to shine. Arrive early, dress comfortably but professionally, and be prepared. You will be asked to answer questions but it is also your chance to ask questions. You will also have the opportunity to meet the kids. Take this opportunity to interact with the kids and show off how well you work with kids. Find out as much as your can about the family and the job. Would you like to work for this family? Do you agree with their child care philosophy? Are you comfortable in the house?
After the interview thank the family for their time and make sure to follow up with a nice note. This extra step goes a long way.
Following these steps will help you find a great job that you will want to stay with for years!
If you are interested in a nanny job or want to learn more about being a nanny visit the TLC for Kids website.
TLC for Kids in St. Louis has nanny jobs available! We are currently helping over 20 families find full time or part time childcare.
Please take a moment and review the open jobs as of July 30th, 2013. Each family is ready to interview top candidates! If you’re interested in any position, email Jessica@tlcforkids.com for more info and apply online ASAP! Each position requires a one-year commitment.
After-School positions are below! These positions all require a year commitment and may transition to full-time in the summer. If you’re curious about one, just ask!
1) Ballwin family with an 11 year-old boy seeking a later afternoon (after-school) nanny. Hours are 4:30p-8:15p and child has mild asthma and some after-school activities. Nanny must be able to help get dinner started for family.
2) Clayton family seeking an after-school nanny to start Aug. 15th for two girls (13, 9) to pick up from school at 3:30p and take to and from activities or go home to do homework and activities. Must be upbeat, fun and friendly!
3) O’Fallon family seeking a after-school nanny for girl boy 9 to start August 21st. Screen time after-school is limited but allowed and children enjoy engaging with a nanny who enjoys sports and crafts. Must pick up from school at 3p and until 6p.
4) Brentwood family seeking an after-school nanny to work with two children (girl 12 and boy 5) M-F 2:50p-6p M-F.
5) Brentwood family with four children (12, 9, 6 y/o twins) seeking an after-school (or part-time 20-30hrs) nanny to take kids home from school and to different activities. Great job for the right person and ideally hours are 1:30-5:30p with some with housework and errands. Must be organized, energetic and able to juggle four kids! Job starts August 15th. Can also be an after-school position with 2:30/3-5:30p schedule.
6) Chesterfield nanny needed with excellent driving record. Three girls (twin 8 y/o, and an 11 year old have to be picked up from school at 2:50p and taken to lots of different activities. Busy, energetic household! Starts August 12th!
7) Ladue family seeking an after-school nanny to work 3-6:30p M-F. Two boys (9, 12) to care for and pick up from school. Extra hours available for date nights. Starts Aug. 12th.
8) Creve Coeur family seeking an after-school nanny M/T/W/F to p/u two boys 6, 4 from school and bring home or to activities. Family is very laid back and can offer some flexibility. Hours are 2:45-5:45p. Starts August 21st.
9) Des Peres family seeking an after-school nanny to work from 3 pm to 6pm Monday through Thursday. There are two children, a 9 year old boy and a 4 year old girl. The after school routine would be: errands/meal prep, pick up youngest child from school, be home to get oldest child off of the bus, feed children a nutritous snack, oldest child will need to practice piano and do homework. Nanny will be reimbursed for gas mileage. Starts August 19th, 2013.
10) Ballwin family seeking an after-school nanny to work from 3 pm to 6 pm Monday through Thursday or Friday! They have two children but only responsible for the 6 year old son. Will need to pick up son from school daily and take him home or to practice as needed and on occasion might need to pick up other child from daycare. The nanny will be responsible for indoor/outdoor play, arts and crafts, children’s meals, children’s laundry, helping with homework, straigtening up home, errands, and loading/unloading dish washers. Begins August 19th, 2013.
11) Creve Coeur family seeking an after school nanny to work from 3:30 pm to about 6:00/7:30 pm Monday through Thursday. They have three children, an 11 year old boy and girl twins, and a 7 year old girl. Nanny would be responsible for surpervising child with any chores, keeping them entertained when at home, helping with homework, and taking them to extracurricular activities. Begins August 26th, 2013.
12) Ladue family seeking an after school nanny to work from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday. There are 6 children but would only need to care for 4 of them. A typical day would be to pick children up from school, take them to practices and activities if needed, run errands if needed, work with children on homework, and drive older children to practices. Begins August 15th, 2013.
13) Kirkwood family seeking after school nanny to work from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday. There are two children, a 12 year old girl and 10 year old boy. The nanny would be responsible for children’s meals, transportation of children to and from school/bus stop and any other activities/appointments, helping children with homework, and loading/unloading dish washer. Begins August 19th, 2013.
14) Brentwood family seeking after school nanny to work from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm Monday through Friday. The family has 3 children, a 10 year old girl, a 7 year old boy, and a 5 year old boy. The nanny would be responsible for indoor/outdoor play, arts and crafts, providing age appropriate activities, picking them up from school and taking them to other activities/ appointments, and helping children with homework. Begins August 26th, 2013.
15) Brentwood family seeking an after-school nanny to work from 3p-6p M-F. Little boy is five years and athletic and artistic! Starts 8/26
16) Creve Coeur family seeking an after-school nanny to work with their two children, (b-12 and g-10) from 3:30p-6:30 M-F with a date night for the parents. Starts 8/12
17) Brentwood family seeking an after-school nanny to work with their son who will be starting Kindergarden in the fall. He is a smart funny boy who loves to interact with people. He is athletic and artistic! Starts 8/26!
18) Wildwood fmaily seeking an after-school nanny to work with their three children (6, 4 and 2) M-F 3p-8p. Must have a good driving record and help around the house. Starts ASAP!
19) Town and Country family seeking an after-school nanny to work M-F 3p-6p with their 11 y/o daughter. She is very active and likes to be engaged with. Some extra hours are available for date nights. Starts ASAP!