During the summer months, many kids go to baseball, basketball, volleyball, swimming and dance camp. We instill values of practice makes perfect, but what about their academics? Luckily, there are lots of tips and tricks to make learning as fun as attending a summer camp with their friends.
Strengthening math skills:
• Let your children help in the kitchen. Allowing your children to join you in the cooking process teaches them how to read the recipe and measure the ingredients. Recipes also expose your children to fractions, which kids typically have problems understanding.
• Play board games and have your child be the scorekeeper. Games like Yahtzee and Monopoly are good games to help strengthen your child’s math skills because each includes lots of adding, and Monopoly gives your child the chance to learn more about money.
• Grab a stopwatch or a stopwatch app. Children love to play with stopwatches, and giving them one opens up lots of learning opportunities. One way they can use the stopwatch is by timing how long it takes their bike to ride down the street or around the block. Then they can keep track of how fast they go and chart the difference in their time the more they practice. This strengthens number recognition, telling time, and subtraction skills.
Strengthening reading skills:
• Visit your local library. St. Louis City and County Libraries offer reading incentive programs for kids of all ages. If getting your child to read has previously been a struggle, this is a good way to get them excited about reading because their friends will be reaping the benefits of the program (like free Cardinal tickets).
• Write letters. Do you have a grandparent, cousin, or friend that lives out of town? Have your children write letters to them. This activity will not only teach your kids how to maintain relationships, but also strengthen their reading and written communication skills.
TLC for Kids also offers tutoring. All of TLC’s tutors have degrees in education. To book a TLC tutor today, call (314) 725-5660.
Looking for in-home tutors?
The end of the first quarter at school is quickly approaching. Just last week my daughters came home with their progress reports. For the record a kindergarten progress report is super cute!
If you are concerned about your child’s grades or feel like a little extra help will be beneficial give us a call. TLC for Kids has experienced tutors. Our tutors, like our sitters, have gone through our thorough screening. TLC tutors will come to you and provide one-on-one instructional help.
• Provide instruction in reading, writing, mathematics, history, science, foreign languages, music, and more.
• Use your child’s school curriculum to help with homework and exam preparation.
• Provide one-on-one instruction in the comfort and security of your home.
• Give children the skills, confidence and motivation to get better grades.
• Tailor tutoring sessions for children with special needs.
To learn more and request a tutor register today!