Luvenia, though only with TLC a short time, has proven herself to be a model TLC caregiver .
Luvenia is extremely well liked by all of her clients. She seems goes out of her way on every assignment to be warm, comforting, engaged with children, and attentive to the family’s needs. She also is an excellent communicator, responding to texts fast, letting us know when she has completed an introductory phone call, and following up after care is completed to let us know how it went. She maintains her availability in the system accurately and regularly, so we always know when we can count on her to take a job. Luvenia demonstrates a clear understanding of our policies and purpose. She has been a great reflection on TLC to the clients she has worked with. Thank you Luvenia, keep it up!
TLC for Kids now services Miami, Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, Orlando, Jacksonville and Tampa Florida!
Another month for our “Three minute Q and A with TLC nannies.” Each month we are bringing you some great Q and A with our nannies so they can share some info and insight about the nanny profession and educate others on some of the fun aspects of the job. This month we interviewed Maria. Maria is one of the temporary nannies on our babysitting staff.
1) Why did you apply with TLC? I was working as a substitute teacher in St. Charles County and there was a huge influx of retired teachers that entered the substitute teacher pool. My income was affected by this sudden change in the market. My sister was using TLC when family members could not help her and she suggested that I look into getting on board. My sister seemed very happy with the babysitters that had come to her assistance and I decided to apply.
2) What do like best about working with children and families? I love challenging children to use their imaginations and to pretend play. I took a course on “How We Learn” and pretend play is the best way to hone learning, problem solving, communication and creative skills.
3) What is your long-term career goal? When I am not babysitting, I am a touring actress for my own children’s theater company as well a touring actress for a murder mystery dinner theater company. I am living my dream come true. Working for TLC, keeps me grounded in reality and allows me to encourage others to pursue their dreams.
4) What is your go to ice breaker when you are meeting a new child? I try to make sure that I know the child’s interests going in. I bring up early upon first meeting that I have brought something that is in line with the child’s interest. I also include them in the conversation early on.
5) Do you a favorite organization or person you follow on Social Media that is childcare related? No specific entity. I work with Children’s Librarians throughout the Midwest, since they are a major client of my children’s theater company and we are constantly swapping ideas.
Another month for our “Three minute Q and A with TLC nannies.” Each month we are bringing you some great Q and A with our nannies so they can share some info and insight about the nanny profession and educate others on some of the fun aspects of the job. This month we interviewed Janet.
1) Why did you decide to become a nanny?
The short answer is I LOVE kids!!! I’ve babysat since I was a teenager and have always loved hanging out with kids. When I went to college the best choice for me was a degree in early childhood education!! I have worked in church preschool programs, in day cares and really enjoyed teaching kids about the world helping them grow and learn. Then I did respite for kids with autism and it was one on one and I really enjoyed seeing the difference I could make for that one family. And I liked getting to know and interact with parents to support and encourage them too. In July it will be 6 years ago that I started looking for a nanny job and I got as far as putting in an application at TLC. I was hired and had a set of twins for two years! I’ve done both the temp and full time permanent side of TLC. I’m currently with another family that I got through TLC and have been with them for 2 1/2 years so far!!
2) What’s your favorite thing about being nanny?
Seeing the daily changes milestones and growth of the children and being a help and support to the parents
3) What fun activity are you forward to doing with your charge(s) this week?
Swimming, the library and story time. I’m sure at some point there will be a request for Grant’s Farm which is her current favorite place! We also love the zoo and going on playdates at friends’ houses or the park or having friends come over and play.
4) Where do you get your ideas for creative activities? What’s your favorite craft?
Some of them just happen. Like yesterday we didn’t have a set plan. I had thrown out a few ideas and the dad suggested a splash pad. The little girl thought it was so fun to pull me close to the water and try to get me wet! Most of the activities for art or sensory I get from my days at working in day care and some from the internet. I can’t pick one favorite craft. Right now the little girl is really into finger painting and we like to use different things like a cotton swab or crumpled up paper or rolling a car through the paint.
5) Do you follow any blogs, websites to share with other nannies?
I don’t really follow any. There is a nanny playgroup on FB that we would love for more people to join! We would like to be more involved with meet up groups or something but I’m not the best at suggesting things. I’m more of a spur of the moment, “oh, we are doing ______ if anyone wants to join us” which doesn’t usually work too well. But if someone planned or put it out there for a playdate we would come if we can!
This week is National Nanny Appreciation Week.
A special thank you to all the nannies who work with our kids. The big and little things you do everyday make an important impact on the lives of so many people.
If you have a TLC nanny please take a minute and share with us on the TLC Facebook page why you and your kids love your TLC nanny.
Your comments will enter your nanny into a special Nanny Appreciation Week contest. So, please take a minute let us and her know how much she is appreciated!