What you post on-line matters, and it is available to viewers potentially forever! TLC for Kids wants to review some common mistakes that get you rejected for any job, not just a childcare job.
First, in today’s technologically advance world employers are able to “check you out” even before they hear your voice. So sometimes a potential employer’s first impression of you could come from that picture of you doing a keg stand that you posted three years ago. You know the old saying “a picture is worth a thousand words”? Well, it is true. Whatever you do make all of your social media accounts TOTALLY private or better yet don’t post anything that wouldn’t make your grandmother proud.
Here are a few other things that could be potentially damaging besides your pictures.
1) Complaining about your boss and/or your job is a big no-no. This is unprofessional and shows a lack of loyalty.
2) Using foul language is not only offensive to some but also shows a lack of maturity.
3) Sexual oversharing is offensive to some and also shows a lack of maturity.
4) What and who you choose to “like” or “follow” tells a little secret about you.
5) Making discriminatory or hateful comments related to race, gender, religion, politics, etc.
It is also beneficial to look at the email address, username and passwords that you use. While email@example.com might be cute to use with your friends, it is completely inappropriate to use in a professional capacity. At some point, your application will be reviewed by someone who has access to your password. Once again, keep it clean!
Lastly, your voicemail message is very important. Make it short, sweet and professional. No soap box speech or “Promiscuous Girl” lyrics on your outgoing voicemail message.
Keep these tips in mind when applying for a job, especially a childcare job with TLC for Kids.
When hiring a babysitter to supervise their kids, parents don’t want someone to come over and watch TV. They want a sitter who will interact and play with the kids. If you do a good job and you and the kids have fun the parents will request you back next time.
“Play is often talked about as if it were a relief from series learning. But for children, play is series learning. Play is the work of childhood.” Fred Rogers
Here are a few ideas you can do next time you are babysitting.
- Play dress up: collect fun hats, jewelry, clothing and props for the “dress-up box.”
- Play cards and board games: don’t forget favorites like Hi Ho Cherry-O, Old Maid, Go Fish, Checkers, etc.
- Have a puppet show: make puppets out of lunch sacks and construction paper.
- Dance: turn up the tunes from Sesame Street, Radio Disney, and Wee-Sing for a toe-tapping good time.
- Make jewelry using yarn and a variety of pasta shapes. You can paint them too.
- Paint a shirt, hat or tote bag using fabric paint.
- Have a treasure hunt hide things around the yard or house and have the children find them.
- Make musical instruments use spoons, pots and pans, paper towel rolls, paper plates and dried beans… and MARCH!
- Build a “fort” using boxes and old blankets.
- Make homemade holiday cards cards will all be more special when made by the little ones.
All of TLC for Kids’ sitters and nannies are experienced child care providers and thoroughly screened by our professional staff. For more information about hiring a TLC babysitter in Florida or Missouri, please visit our website.