Posts Tagged ‘babysitting jobs in Orlando’
How Social Media Can Damage Your Chances of Finding a Job
What you post on-line matters, and it is available to viewers potentially forever! TLC for Kids wants to review some common mistakes that get you rejected for any job, not just a childcare job.
First, in today’s technologically advance world employers are able to “check you out” even before they hear your voice. So sometimes a potential employer’s first impression of you could come from that picture of you doing a keg stand that you posted three years ago. You know the old saying “a picture is worth a thousand words”? Well, it is true. Whatever you do make all of your social media accounts TOTALLY private or better yet don’t post anything that wouldn’t make your grandmother proud.
Here are a few other things that could be potentially damaging besides your pictures.
1) Complaining about your boss and/or your job is a big no-no. This is unprofessional and shows a lack of loyalty.
2) Using foul language is not only offensive to some but also shows a lack of maturity.
3) Sexual oversharing is offensive to some and also shows a lack of maturity.
4) What and who you choose to “like” or “follow” tells a little secret about you.
5) Making discriminatory or hateful comments related to race, gender, religion, politics, etc.
It is also beneficial to look at the email address, username and passwords that you use. While email@example.com might be cute to use with your friends, it is completely inappropriate to use in a professional capacity. At some point, your application will be reviewed by someone who has access to your password. Once again, keep it clean!
Lastly, your voicemail message is very important. Make it short, sweet and professional. No soap box speech or “Promiscuous Girl” lyrics on your outgoing voicemail message.
Keep these tips in mind when applying for a job, especially a childcare job with TLC for Kids.