I came across this blog from North Shore Pediatrics with some great apps for kids, especially kids with Autism. TLC for Kids is proud to be part of the Walk Now for Autism Speaks this Saturday. Stop by our booth and say hello.
- 123 Token Me– This app is a visual token board that can be used for one child (free version) or unlimited children and unlimited behaviors ($9.99). This app gives you the versatility to choose background color, various token choices, and graphs and visually displays data for you. This is the most motivating token board I have used with my kids because it is interactive. Also, one of the token options shows a picture of the child, which they all love!
- First Then Visual Schedule HD– This app is 2 applications put into one; it is both a visual schedule and a choice board. It allows you to show the child “first ___, then ____.” with the ability to make choices from a visual field. It also allows you to make more complex, multiple-step, visual schedules. It is a bit on the pricey side at $14.99 but totally worth it if your child struggles to make choices verbally or would benefit from a visual schedule. It is much easier to carry around than a paper schedule or choice board, because you can update it on the fly using the camera function or Google images.
- Duck Duck Moose, Inc.- (includes Wheels on the Bus, The Itsy Bitsy Spider, Old MacDonald and many more). All of the Duck Duck Moose apps are a big hit with all the kiddos I work with as they are interactive, the characters move, jump and dance, and they all play familiar kid’s songs. The apps range in price from free versions up to $3.99 each.
- Visual Timer- Search “visual timer” in the app store and choose VisTimerFree or VisTimer ($.99). Both versions show a circle slowly decreasing in the color of your choice, along with various sounds to choose for early warnings and end times. The paid version allows you to set the timer for up to 24 hours, while the free version only allows up to 5 minutes. This app provides a great visual for kids to see the circle decreasing. Once the color is gone, their time is up!
- Peekaboo Barn– Showcases a barn full of animals that pop out one at a time and make noises. Children can guess which animal is coming next, learn names of the animals and learn animal sounds. The full version is $.99.
- Dora’s Great Big World– This app is packed with games that focus on school-readiness including literacy, math and science! Boys and girls alike love this game! It runs $2.99 for iPhone and $5.99 for iPad.
- Thomas and Friends Engine Activity Fun– This free app offers puzzles, coloring pages, and memory games to play featuring all of your favorite Thomas friends!
- Mr. Potato Head Create and Play– For $2.99 you can customize Mr. Potato Head in over 200 combinations! You can teach children to play functionally or foster their creativity and allow them to make funny faces or put a mouth where his hand should be!